Search

Custom Search

Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Few Tips On How To Not Wasting Food

I shared last month that the challenge I face every day is to waste no food. Raising two young children as well as attempting a healthier lifestyle, I constantly face the danger of food being wasted by picky eaters, or fresh produce spoiling before we can eat it. I don’t want to waste anything in the kitchen. There are too many people in need for me to not do everything with all I’ve been blessed with. My Genius Idea? Repurpose Leftovers! I think it begins with an attitude shift: Don’t think of “scraps” as being worthless. Think of your “scraps” as “extras.” They are extra food that can be the beginning of another meal.
:: Use poultry extras to make soup stock.
:: The juice you’re draining off canned fruit?
  • Pour it into ice cube trays (instead of down the drain) and use it later in smoothies.
  • Let your kids pour it into popsicle molds for a frozen treat.
  • Use to marinate meat.
:: Freeze extra chopped veggies, label, and add to your Freezer Inventory List. These can be the beginning of next week’s soup!
:: Cutting off crusts for your picky eater? Keep adding those to a freezer bag, and you have the bread crumbs ready for casseroles, or the beginning of homemade croutons.
:: Save liquids in ice cube trays. Extra sauce from homemade pasta or pizza can be frozen to use for individual portions.
Waste no food—that’s my mantra, and I want it to be a lifestyle that my children learn from my example. Thinking of leftovers and scraps as being extras that can begin a new meal is just one way of doing a favor for my family, my community, and in some way, this world we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment